Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Vajay's getting educated in Iran is scary to Ahmedinajad!



By Alison Royer

This is remarkable.  The rights I take for granted on a daily basis – going to college, dressing in anything that strikes my fancy, voting – are the same rights that women in Iran are fighting for. 

I desperately want to be a female advocate but truthfully I never wanted to go to college, I often think things would be easier if someone just told me what to wear every day, and quite frankly it takes everything in me to drag my ass to the voting booth once every four years.  I consistently dread participating in the rights that have been allotted to me by the women who fought for my freedom in America, years ago. 

As the women of Iran fight for equality in education, I must commend them.  I'm sure if someone told me I wasn't allowed to be an accountant, I'd be feverishly advocating its admittance.  But, being on the other side of progress, all I can think is, "Ladies!  Run for your lives!  Accounting is boring!  Just marry a rich guy and procreate!"  Man…I should run for office.  I know zillions of Iranian women who would vote for me.  I bet by then, they'll be dragging ass too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment