Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11- The day that changed the world!





By Alison Royer

I’m a black-out drinker so there’s a lot in life I don’t remember.  But I can tell you exactly where I was on September 11, 2001.  I had just awoken in my high-rise, Chicago apartment to a phone call from my then boyfriend.  His first words to me were, “Do you have any idea what’s happening in your country right now?”  I did not. 

I didn’t have a working television, at the time, and while his news sounded alarming, I couldn’t quite grasp it.  On the subway to work that morning, everything was quiet and still.  When I arrived to the office, everyone was huddled around the T.V., some people were crying and again silence permeated the room. 

I have never fought in the armed services and I can’t pretend that I had any awareness of the world-at-large prior to that day.  But on 9/11, my life changed and so did my perception.  I am now greatly aware that I live a privileged life, granted to me merely by way of being born on this continent.  I am aware that I am free to do whatever I’d like in this country.  I have freedom of sex, religion and education.  I am free to have strong opinions about what my country does and if I’d like to make changes, I am free to take actions to that affect – no matter how large or small.  Today, I’d like to acknowledge the men and women who fight for my freedom and the other citizens here and elsewhere who fight for theirs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment