Monday, November 19, 2012

The Egyptian Martin Luther King Jr.?



By Alison Royer


This is the best!  In an attempt to thwart the sexual harassment epidemic that has permeated the city of Cairo, a new and radical anti-harassment campaign has been launched and aptly called "Be a Man."  Rebecca Fitzsimons of Vice.com had a chat with campaign leader Muhammad Taimoor and this mother fucker is not messing around.

"Our tactics this time were pretty violent – a lot of people were offended because they didn't like what we were doing. Basically, we attacked the harassers and spray-painted "I Am a Harasser" on anyone we caught in the act. The police weren't at all supportive of what we were trying to do and they clearly weren't ready to keep Egyptian women safe during Eid, so we did all the work on our own."

I'm gonna be honest.  I'm torn.  While I applaud the attempt to combat a situation that the Egyptian police continually ignore, and I'm not trying to get all MLK (Martin Luther King Jr.) on you but I'm not sure if harassment is the best solution to harassment.  Ya dig?  Taimoor goes on,

"Yeah, the non-violent campaigners criticised what we did. They want to work to prevent harassment before it happens, but I don’t know how they would go about doing that. They'd also rather take harassers to the police, but I don't think that would work because it's difficult to convince the girl to go to the police to confirm what happened."

Ugh..it's true.  Time to speak up ladies!  We will support you!  Do they have Destiny's Child in Egypt?  I'm pretty sure that's the solution.

1 comment: